Monday, April 11, 2011

Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt

It's probably pretty obvious right now that I have a thing for rhubarb. So far in the short life of this oft-abandoned blog I've already shared rhubarb compote, rhubarb-blueberry bars, and jammers with strawberry-rhubarb jam. I can't seem to get enough of this plucky vegetable - it pushes out of the ground right when I am about to burst from a lack of brightness in my diet, like a beacon of deliciousness. It's incredibly versatile - sweet things like rhubarb pie and dumplings (oooh, I'll share those with you soon) are an obvious answer to the welcome problem of "too much" rhubarb, but it also shines in more savory dishes, which is how I'm planning to experiment this spring. 

My plants are showing their cute little noses above ground right now, and in the midst of planning for this new rhubarb season, I came across one last, lonely bag of frozen stalks in our basement freezer. Wanting to use it up before the new batch ripened, I decided to make some frozen yogurt. Using David Lebovitz's basic frozen yogurt recipe from The Perfect Scoop (lovelovelove), I whipped up a rhubarb compote, chilled it, stirred it into the yogurt base and froze it. The end.



Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt
Makes almost 3 quarts

3 cups whole milk yogurt
3/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla (or lemon) extract
4 cups chopped rhubarb (frozen is fine)
two handfuls (1/3 cup?) white sugar

In a saucepan, add the rhubarb to just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.
Toss in some sugar, bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium-low and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and bright pink and thick. Resist the urge to eat it all with a spoon right now. Really, I know it's difficult.
Pour into a bowl and chill completely in the fridge, at least an hour.
You'll notice that this is the process for making Rhubarb Compote)



In a bowl, stir yogurt, sugar and vanilla or lemon. Pop this in the fridge, too.

When everything's fully chilled, stir the yogurt and rhubarb compote together, and freeze half in your ice cream maker. When that half is done, immediately repeat with the other half, before the bowl of your ice cream maker warms up.

We ate this out of mugs sitting on the living room floor, but Jesse suggested crumbling graham crackers over a scoop, or sandwiching some between two ginger cookies, and I think those are both fabulous ideas, too.

~Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment