Monday, March 7, 2011

Jammers

I am in love with a cookie. And also, with Dorie Greenspan. Oh my, she is adorable.

These guys are too, aren't they? I just want to pinch them. And then, you know, eat them.

Every since my infatuation with Dorie Greenspan began, I've been infatuated by her cookie recipes. I love her sables (they're my go-to weekday cookie) and her World Peace Cookies have earned their renown fairly. But when I saw her jammers being ooh'd about all over the interweb, my heart swelled three sizes, and I finally knew true love.

I found a version of the recipe by Tim from Lottie and Doof, and adjusted it a little bit to match my equipment and pantry. Dorie and Tim both used ring molds to make their jammers, and I loved the way it made the cookies uniform and really played up the sweet brown edges that I love in a sable. I however, do not have ring molds, and I also don't have the cash to drop on a set at the moment. So I improvised with a couple muffin tins, and was really, really pleased with the results. If you use muffin tins, expect to get between 25-30 cookies. If you use ring molds, you'll get 10-12 really big ones.

Jammers
adapted from Lottie and Doof, via Dorie Greenspan

Dough:
  • 1 cup butter,  room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 egg yolks at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or substitute 1 Tbsp lemon zest)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

Streusel:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt (use the smaller amount if you're not using sea salt)
To make the cookies:

Cream butter until smooth, and then add in sugars and cream until silky.
Add egg yolks, vanilla (or zest) and salt, and mix.
Dump in all the flour. Then drape a dish towel over your mixer (to avoid a huge mess) and pulse your mixer on high a few times. Check occasionally - you want all the flour incorporated, but it won't be a uniform dough. It will be moist-looking and very crumbly. Dorie describes it as "feeling like play dough," which is perfect.

  • -Preheat your oven to 350. 
  • -Press dough into the bottom of each indent in your muffin tin - you want the dough to be about a 1/4 inch thick. 
  • -Refrigerate the whole tin for about 15 minutes - I skipped this step for one batch and they came out fine, but a little crisper. If you've got the time, chill them. If not, it's ok. 
  •  -Mix all your streusal ingredients together. I just use my fingers and pinch until it gets crumbly.
  • -Top each cookie with a teaspoon of jam (I used Strawberry Rhubarb from my first batch last summer) and a good amount of streusel. My first batch was lighter on the topping and Jesse liked those, but I preferred the ones with a heavy streusel layer.  
Bake for 14 minutes, and then let cool fully before popping the cookies out of the tin with a butter knife.


Enjoy!

~Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment