Saturday, September 25, 2010

Summer Cabbage Rolls

I really like cabbage. Maybe it's the Irish in me, but I've never had any of the typical cabbage complaints - the smell, the sliminess when boiled, the smell, the droopy leaves, the smell. I like cabbage. I think it's awesome, for eating AND for relieving milk-engorged breasts (too much information there? Nah.).

Generally, though, I can't think of anything to do with this delightful vegetable other than the standard boiled dinner or slaws. I liked the idea of cabbage rolls, but the traditional red-sauce covered, long-cooking-time rolls I could find didn't seem very summer-appropiate. So I decided to use our dearth of cabbage to make some sprin-roll type things, inspired by these INCREDIBLE Vietnamese spring rolls we get at the farmer's market. They're very, very easy, and don't involve turning on the oven, sweating, smelliness, or milk-engorged breasts. Win win!

Summer Cabbage Rolls

You'll need about 1 head of cabbage - I used both savoy (the crinkly kind) and green (the normal kind). I thought I'd like the results of the svoy better, since they make such pretty bowls:
But I found the recipe worked better with the regular smooth leaves, since they wilted more and were able to fold better. If you want to make these into scoops instead of rolls, though, I bet the savoy would be perfect.

Wilt the cabbage by boiling them for a couple minutes in salted water and then rinsing in cold water. Then, just stuff them with an assortment of deliciousness. Roll them like a burrito and hold them together with a toothpick. They can hang out in the fridge for a while first, too. Roll them like a burrito and hold them together with a toothpick. They can hang out in the fridge for a while first, too. You want mostly cold ingredients, with maybe a cooked item thrown in. We used:
-browned burger
-salad greens
-whole thai basil leaves
-shredded zucchini and carrots

Dip them in a sweet chili sauce like this one. We actually cheated and bought some at the store. It was tasty.

~Ashby

No comments:

Post a Comment